Monday, September 24, 2012

Learn how to remove wax from candle jars and even you can have a trendy apothecary type jar for your bathroom!

Hello!

Ok so I loooove containers. its hard for me to toss out anything that can actually hold something in it. Even the leftover cardboard boxes from our move stayed in the guest bedroom a little longer than entirely needed. 

Imagine my thrill when my husband came home from our local Grocery Store with these lovely candle jars. While the Cucumber Melon scent was just glorious, each time I lit a candle I reveled in the day when I could turn this jar into something else. 

Well..that day has come!
I did some research on Pinterest & YouTube on the best ways to remove candle wax from a jar. Well....to be completely honest, they all sucked. One blog said to freeze the candle for 24 hours and then scrape it out in chunks with a spoon....really? The other said to boil hot water and poor it directly into the candle jar. 
Well I thought both those methods sounded extremely time consuming and messy, so I just used my common sense, and came up with my own method.  

Now my candle had about 1 inch of unusable candle wax in the bottom of it when I started. 

  1. First I set a pan to boil on the stove. I used a medium sized sauce pan, and filled it about half way full of water. 
  2. Then I set the candle jar in the boiling water for about 30 seconds. The wax melted around the outside edges of the jar, and I was able to remove the 'clump' of wax from the jar super easy with a fork. I dropped that sucker in a very very used disposable tupperware container, which later went in the trash. 
  3. There was a little bit of wax left in the jar, so then I sorta rolled it around in the 'gently' boiling water to remove the wax. Most of it floated off into the water. 
  4. Then I used a pot holder to hold the candle jar, and then wiped out the little bit of liquid wax that was left with a paper towel. I did not find the glass to be super hot...but if you leave your jar submerged in the boiling water for any extended amount of time, be very careful at this step! 
  5. Then there was a tiny tiny bit of waxy residue left, so I scrubbed that out with lots of soap and hot water in the sink, then let my water run super hot for a minute or so. I was a little paranoid about the tiny bit of wax going down the drain, but so far, so good ;). 
  6. Then I stuck the candle jar in the dishwasher and VIOLA! A nice shiny, pretty jar with a awesome lid to hold my Q-tips. 
  7. About half of the water boiled away from the sauce pan, so I took that off the burner, let it cool, and then poured the remaining waxy water into the tupperware container, lidded it, and tossed the whole thing in the trash. Like I said before, it was at the end of its usable life anyways; it was 'disposable', and I was too paranoid to poor it down the sink. 
SO! 

Final product! Before, on the left, After, on the right. (duh!)

As you can see, my hubby recently purchased TWO new candles, so in a couple of months, I can wash, rinse, and repeat. 

I hope you found this useful! Thanks! 

Dana 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Persian Pickles. Powered by Blogger.