Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Eggplant Mozzarella Melt - Recipe and Review!!

Ok, so quick recap. My husband is a full time pharmacy student, and also works full time as an intern for CVS pharmacy. Long story short? I have a LOT of free time during the week. I usually go visit my horse at the barn, but I only do this about 2-3 nights a week (and weekends of course), so that means I have 2-3 OTHER evening where I don't have much to do. SOOO...I either craft, or I cook. Right now I've been cooking, simply because I get hungry, and that way there is some sort of dinner for my hubby when he gets home.

Tonights meal?? Eggplant Mozzarella Melt! Whoho! Oh and tonights movie's are Harry Potter and Goblet of  Fire (about the last 30 minutes) and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. ABC is doing their Halloween TV stuff...so LOTS of Harry Potter!

I basically follow the recipe exactly. It was quite delicious! The only thing I would change - is add a bit more tomato sauce, a lot of my sauce just soaked into the bread and their wasn't much 'saucyness' to the finished product. Still awesome tho! This will definitely be a repeat meal! Good luck!

I used the recipe from Martha Stewart -> http://www.marthastewart.com/340875/eggplant-and-mozzarella-melt


  • 2 large eggs
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 3/4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
  • Olive oil, for baking sheet
  • 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound), sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
  • 1 loaf (8 ounces) soft Italian bread
  • 2 cups store-bought tomato sauce
  • 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees. In a shallow bowl, lightly beat eggs with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread breadcrumbs in a pie plate or shallow bowl.
  2. Oil a rimmed baking sheet. Dip eggplant rounds in egg, then dredge in breadcrumbs, turning to coat completely; transfer to prepared baking sheet. Bake (without turning) until golden and tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, split bread lengthwise, and place cut side up on another baking sheet; press gently in centers to create a well. Layer both halves with tomato sauce, eggplant, and cheese. Bake until cheese is browned in spots, 6 to 8 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Persian Pickles. Powered by Blogger.