Monday, October 15, 2012

Homemade Tortilla Walk-Thru and Flauta Recipe Review

Hi!

So today was very 'focused' day at work, so besides going to the barn and visiting my horses, coming home and trying a new recipe while watching my favorite episodes of Doctor Who is second best! Just for the record, episodes of Doctor Who watched were....Asylum of the Daleks, Dinosaurs on a Space Ship, The Impossible Planet, and The Satin Pit. I made two recipes, so yes, it took me 3 1/3 episodes to complete them. The Satin Pit is on right now! Woho!

Ok...so! I made these delicious homemade tortillas with this recipe from The Life and Love's of Grumpys Honeybunch (what a adorable name!) Please visit her blog for the recipe.

EASY HOMEMADE FLOUR TORTILLAS    3 cups flour  1 tsp. salt  1/3 cup vegetable oil  1 cup warm water    Combine all the flour, salt, vegetable oil, and water until it forms a dough.    Roll the dough into a big ball and take about an 1 to 2 inch pieces off. Pat the dough flat with your hands or take a rolling pin and roll into circles.    Put the dough on a flat pan on the stove and let the sides cook until there are little brown specks on both sides like you would see on other tortillas.

Ok so here goes the walk-thru! So first let me say that these homemade tortillas are WAY better than anything store bought, and totally worth the time!

Ok so I got all my ingredients out at once because I'm one of those people who can easily feel very overwhelmed in the kitchen. If I have everything out in front of me and make a complete mess while I'm at it...I'm good! 

I measured out my flour and crisco. I got to say, i LOVE the crisco that comes in the sticks. It makes measuring just that much simpler, and a bit more easy to clean up also.

I mixed up the crisco and flour real good with my hands. It took me a few minutes to get all the crisco fully mixed into the flower (third picture in the collage above). 

Following my recipe I added my 3/4 cup of salty water a little at a time, and stirred. I ended up using about 1 full cup to get the final result (bottom right picture above).


Ok so I followed the instructions and kneaded my dough (no pics! Sorry!). I couldn't help but have some flash back of the year of ceramics classes I took in collage. It took a little bit of effort to stop pounding that clay on the counter and start putting them into balls. 

FYI the recipe made 12 balls, i got 9. Not sure how that happened, maybe my tortillas were a little bigger than plans, but I was very happy with the 9. 

Then it told me to let the dough sit for 30 minutes. So in my 30 minutes, I took a quick shot of me and Bandit, watched some Doctor Who (Asylum of the Daleks pictured!) Aaannddd.....I cleaned up my kitchen! I apologize for the poor panoramic pic...still getting used to it! 

OK! So its been 30 minutes - I used some extra flour like the recipe said all over my rolling pin and counter top. Don't worry...its sanitized! My hubby bought me that amazing rolling pin for our first christmas together. What a sweetheart! 

I'll be honest, getting the tortilla to roll out in a nice purty circle does take some effort, and a lot of finesse...probably more than I have! But I managed to get them mostly round. 

Then I put them in my pan! Now I am in love with my cast iron pan, and thats all i ever use, so I actually went against the recipe a bit and added a bit of olive oil to lube up my cast iron and made her a little happier about roasting some tortillas. They came out perfectly fine, but I supposed I did add quite a few extra calories. 

Believe it or not, they started to roast up nicely. I'd say the tortillas spent about 2 minutes on each side, but like the instructions said, each one will cook at its own time. 

I didn't have any cloth napkins like the instructions called for, but I used nice thick paper towels, and to be honest, those seemed to work quite well. 


Now I made these homemade tortillas to replace the store bought ones, considering I can make about 3 dozen for the price of one 8 pack. It was a bit of work, but I think with practice, it will go by rather fast!
I had two left over from my Flauta's recipe for my hubby to try out with his breakfast burritos in the morning. 

I used a chicken flauta recipe from Healthy Delicious! Please visit her blog for the recipe. 


I must say! I give these chicken flauta's a 10/10 stars. They were absolutely delish! So light and yummy, yet so flavorful and filling at the same time. 

Well I hope you enjoyed this walk thru/review of these homemade tortillas! I must say that homemade IS the way to go for these things, they are absolutely divine and taste completely gourmet and WAY better than the store bought ones. GOOD LUCK!

1 comments:

Shelby said...

Hi Dana! Thank you for the mention and I'm so glad you tried the tortillas! I agree that homemade is way better! I'm also impressed you made Lauren's recipe! Lauren and I have met each other in person and live very close to one another! Great job!

Post a Comment

Persian Pickles. Powered by Blogger.